Friday, January 8, 2010

It starts...

I used to hate the show "Amazing Race" because all these crazy people were barging through all these beautiful places - hating the food, snarling at the locals, dragging eachother around in innertubes and falling out...

This is a bit what grad school is like, especially if you wonder all along if you'd rather be living in your parents' attic drawing nudes and painting bad landscapes, while working at your favorite coffee shop. These are things you tend to wonder when you start a PhD for lack of a better thing to do.

While I may still end up in the attic, for the time being (the next three months leading to epic comprehensive exams) I have to read "everything" that comprises Canadian literature. And as much feminist, queer, post-colonial, and psychoanalytic theory as possible. This maybe sounds like boring subject matter for a blog, but I may go crazy and that could be fun to watch.

I also suspect, after just having read Timothty Findley's Pilgrim, that a lot beautiful and complex things lie ahead. I'm afraid of falling out of the innertube and missing them, so I think maybe I'll write them here. And try to keep the snarling to a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment